DHA’s NABIDH program is a groundbreaking initiative that is transforming the way patients receive healthcare in Dubai. Think of you and other healthcare providers across Dubai connected as a single big team through NABIDH, which acts as a secure vault storing patient health records. Just like picking a file from a shared cabinet, you and other doctors all over Dubai can easily access these records from different hospitals, clinics, and diagnostic centers. What does this mean?
- No more carrying paper files, or scrambling for paperwork when patients switch doctors or facilities. All health records are in one place.
- You can deliver quicker and better care to your patients since NABIDH gives you immediate access to your patients’ full medical history, facilitating better diagnosis and treatment plans.
- You can avoid repeat tests and redundant procedures since you get a complete view of what has been done before.
In simpler terms, NABIDH EMR is the means to faster and more efficient healthcare delivery. It lays the foundation for doctors across Dubai to work together as a team with all the information you need at your fingertips. But let’s not oversimplify it either. NABIDH integration takes time and effort. And neither is IT integration with NABIDH the end-all goal for your facility. Change management plays a huge role in adapting to the new system, and the staff and doctors in your facility may have many questions about how to use the new system of health information exchange. Here, we try to address one such question that may arise while you’re trying to implement NABIDH in your facility- How to request medical records from other healthcare providers through NABIDH? Here’s how:
Requesting Medical Records Through NABIDH
The NABIDH platform allows you to securely access health records of patients without compromising their safety and privacy. Here are the simple steps for you to request patient health information from other healthcare providers through NABIDH:
- Ensure that both facilities are participants in the NABIDH program. This is the most primary requirement. You can check the official list on the website to confirm this. If either of the facilities is not a NABIDH participant exchange of health information with that facility is not possible through the NABIDH platform.
- Check if you have the patient’s consent. Subjects of care/patients have the right to opt out of the NABIDH program. In this case, their records cannot be accessed over NABIDH. So, before you request for patients’ medical records, check if they are NABIDH participants or not.
- Navigate to the ‘Patient Search’ page on the NABIDH clinical portal. On this page you can:
- Search for a patient using MRN (Medical Record Number) or Patient Demographics
- Provide the justification for accessing the patient’s record and select the type of authorization, which can be verbal, written, or emergency.
- In case of an emergency access, you may be allowed to override consent. However, you will be required to mention the name of the person who authorized the access.
- You can filter the results by Patient Record Information
- Once you hit the ‘Search’ button, NABIDH retrieves the specific patient’s medical record based on the MRN you provided.
- Click the file to view the patient’s complete medical information.
- The Patient Chartbook gives you a comprehensive view of the patient’s medical history and health. This chart allows you to access distinct categories of medical information about the patient, including clinical summary, conditions, allergies, medications, vital signs, and lab results. However, since the NABIDH clinical portal is a read-only portal you cannot edit or update information on the patient chartbook. Adding, editing or updating health information can be done only through your facility’s EMR system.
- Most importantly, remember that NABIDH prioritizes the safety and security of patient health information over everything else. And any action you take in the NABIDH system is subject to audit. So, ensure that your facility incorporates all NABIDH-recommended authorizations, access controls and security protocols for accessing patient records.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can patients also request medical records? What types of medical records can patients request through NABIDH?
Yes, patients can request any type of health information stored in their NABIDH record, including their clinical summaries, medication history, diagnostic reports, imaging studies, and more.
- How can we ensure patient privacy and data security when providing records through NABIDH?
NABIDH utilizes secure access protocols and encryptions to safeguard patient data. As a healthcare provider, enforce strict data access controls and follow all relevant data privacy regulations like HIPAA and the UAE’s Data Protection Law.
- What happens if a patient objects to their medical records being accessed through NABIDH?
Respect the patient’s right to object and refrain from uploading their records to NABIDH. Document the objection in their medical record and handle record requests directly through alternative methods authorized by the patient.
- Where can we find more information and resources about NABIDH policies and procedures?
You can find more information on NABIDH policies and procedures in the following pages: